In recent years, forgotten methods of growing vegetables have become popular with gardeners. One of them is winter onions. Planting onions for the winter allows you to get a rich harvest of full-fledged onion for one or two months ahead of time, and greens - in early spring. The cheapness of the method also attracts - small, defective specimens of onion sets, which cannot withstand long winter storage, are selected for landing. But it is important to know how to plant and when to clean the Winter Bow.
Winter onion is also convenient because it does not have time to hit the onion fly, since by the time of its appearance it is building up a strong root system. And after cleaning it, you can once again use the beds, sowing them with other cultures. It is best suited for this tomato, carrot, eggplant.
For planting is selected the smallest onion sets. That he has the properties necessary for the cultivation of a good harvest of winter onions:
- if the bulbs are large, they will start to shoot, and in small ones there will not be enough nutrients for this;
- during the winter months, the onions will be nourished from the soil, and in early spring they will begin to form a turnip;
- small onions are a defective material; they will not withstand storage until spring and dry out during the winter.
Small onion sets as a planting material is more expensive by autumn. Therefore, it is much easier to grow it yourself. Sowing is carried out in early spring, in the first sunny days, when the earth begins to warm:
- grooves of one and a half to two and a few centimeters wide are prepared, between which one should leave a distance for convenient weeding;
- the grooves are densely sown with chernushka - onion seeds, covered with earth and slightly trampled;
- from above it is better to humus humus;
- if the weather is dry, you need to monitor the timely irrigation of growing onion sets and loosening the soil;
- feed the seeds do not need;
- when digging onions, yellowed leaves that have fallen to the ground will show.
Dug onion sets should be left on the garden bed to dry. After that, dry leaves should be peeled off and the bulbs sorted:
- larger ones, with a diameter of more than 1 cm, will go for spring planting - they should be placed in storage in a dark and cool place;
- those smaller than this size are suitable for landing before winter;
- bulbs with a diameter of more than two centimeters will go to food.
Planting and cultivation of winter onions
Good for planting winter onions to use the beds on which before it grew cabbage, tomatoes, beans or peas, cucumbers, corn or mustard. After them the beds can not fertilize.
It is difficult to choose the right time for planting winter onions. Optimum conditions are quite low and, at the same time, a positive temperature within 4-6 degrees. Winter onions should have time to take root, but not go to growth. It is planted in dry weather in shallow grooves of up to 5 cm located from each other at a distance of one and a half dozen centimeters. In the grooves between the bulbs should be a gap of several centimeters.
Important! You can not plant winter onions in wet soil, otherwise the process of decay may begin.
After planting, the beds are covered with soil, and from above - with humus mixed with a small amount of sand. Then the beds mulch with fallen leaves, straw, tops. Experienced gardeners are not advised to use peat as mulch. Due to the low thermal conductivity in the spring, it will retard the development of young onion sprouts.
It must be remembered that not every variety is suitable for winter planting. You need to choose cold-resistant and early ripe, forming a bulb with a short daylight. Usually gardeners prefer to plant Dutch varieties before winter. They reduce the time when you can dig onions planted before winter.
Spring winter onions do not require special care. It is enough to remove the mulch to facilitate warming of the soil and its growth, as well as carefully loosen the soil and remove weeds. The frequency of loosening depends on the density of the soil. To accelerate growth, you can cover the beds at night with a film. Useful feed infusion of bird droppings. To repel pests, it is recommended to sprinkle the beds with ashes, it also contains the necessary minerals and is an excellent fertilizer. As the winter onion grows, it must be thinned - small and weak sprouts will be eaten as green vitamins, and strong sprouts will receive additional space for growth.
Important! Do not tear off the feathers of those bulbs that are grown on a turnip.
Watering requires special attention:
- in early spring, when the earth is full of moisture from melting snow, you do not need to water the winter onions;
- after the soil dries out, regular watering is required to form a good turnip;
- when the bulbs begin to ripen, watering must stop, otherwise the crop will not be stored for a long time.
Harvesting winter onions
In order for the harvest to be well kept, it is necessary to correctly calculate the time when to harvest winter onions. Gardeners independently determine the period of harvesting winter onions according to the degree of maturity of the plants. Cleaning should be done when the leaves of the plants begin to turn yellow and lie on the ground, and the surface of the bulb is covered with dry scales. Mature onion easily removed from the soil. If the soil is too hard, you can carefully podkapal their forks, lifting the soil at a short distance from the roots. For 10-14 days you need to stop watering the beds.Important! If a few days before harvesting, carefully trim the root of the bulbs with a shovel and slightly raise them, then reducing the access of moisture will accelerate their maturation.
Sometimes, to speed up the ripening of winter onions, its feathers are cut, leaving a small tail a few centimeters. However, this method can lead to the beginning of the processes of decay, so it is undesirable to use it.
Terms of cleaning can move in one direction or another depending on:
- on the climatic features of the region - the colder the climate, the longer the period of cultivation of winter onions;
- from timely loosening and dressings that accelerate the ripening of the crop;
- from the weather conditions of the current season - a cold and rainy summer extends the period of ripening of plants;
- on soil quality.
Crop should be harvested in dry sunny weather. It can not be perederzhivat in the ground, otherwise he will begin to take root again, and such a bow is poorly stored. Not all plants ripen in one day, so the onion harvest is delayed for several days. However, if it is not possible to dig onions gradually, then it is possible to harvest the entire crop in one day, when the main part of it is already ripe.
The harvest of winter onions must be properly dried so that it is well kept:
- after gathering, the onions are left on the beds for a day or two to dry;
- at the same time it is disinfected with ultraviolet rays;
- Do not clean the bulbs from the sticky ground by mechanically tapping hard objects in order not to damage them. In rainy weather, onions can be dried in the attic or under a shed;
- during drying, you should regularly mix and turn the onions;
- the condition of the neck of the bulb will help determine the end of drying - it will completely become dry, and the scales will easily peel off;
- if there are specimens with a dense, wet neck, they should not be put into storage, but rather should be eaten.
If the onion harvest fell on rainy days, and the crop was wet, for drying it is necessary to find a well-ventilated place, otherwise it will begin to rot.
Storage of winter onions
Dried onions can be stored in different ways:
- cutting the neck, you can fold the entire bow in the grid or stockings and hang in the basement;
- cut bulbs can be stored in a wooden box - in this case it is necessary to agitate them from time to time to ensure even access of oxygen;
- it is possible, without cutting the cervix, to braid the braids and hang them - this method is convenient in that the germinating bulbs will immediately become noticeable;
- for all methods of storage it is necessary to ensure optimal conditions - the temperature is from plus one to minus three degrees and the humidity is not higher than 80%;
- for the safety of the onion, it is also necessary to provide him with air access, therefore it is unacceptable to store it in plastic bags.
Due to the simplicity and low cost method of growing winter onions is becoming increasingly popular. If, however, special winter varieties are used for planting in winter, then higher yields of this tasty and healthy vegetable can be obtained.