Often, when planting strawberries, the gardener does not think about for which region the variety is bred and whether it will grow well under these conditions. Therefore, sometimes failures occur when planting seemingly good planting material. It is no secret that in different parts of our large country the climate may differ radically. Therefore, those varieties of strawberries, which are bred, for example, for the Krasnodar Territory, will be very uncomfortable in the conditions of severe Siberia.Tip! Plant only strawberry varieties in your region, they will give the highest possible yield, will develop well and get less sick.
In Russia there is a special State Register of Breeding Achievements, in which among other characteristics of plants there is a region where they should be grown. There are many varieties of strawberries or more correctly garden strawberries of Russian and foreign selection. Most of them easily adapt to any growing conditions. But there are varieties intended for one particular region. These include strawberries varieties First grader. It is best grown in the West Siberian region, where it is zoned.
Strawberry parents First grader - Fairy and Torpedo varieties. The authors of this variety are N. P. Stolnikov and A. D. Zabelin, employees of the Siberian Horticultural Research Institute, located in Barnaul. The variety is recommended for cultivation 15 years ago.
Further, the article will describe the description of the strawberry variety First-grader presented in the photo and reviews about it. According to reviews of gardeners, strawberries of this variety have a dessert taste with a slight sourness and easy to grow, it has good yield.
Biological features First-graders
- The variety is not repairable.
- In terms of ripening refers to srednepozdny. At the variety test plot, the first strawberry variety First-grader ripened on June 25th.
- The berries reach a maximum weight of 30 g, the average weight is 10-17 g. Up to 4-5 harvests, they retain their initial size, then shrink without losing their taste. First grade grapes strawberries have a tasting score of 4.5 points on a 5-point scale - a good result. The harvest is 3 times higher than that of one of the parents - Fairy variety.
- The shape of the berries is rounded with clearly visible darker grooves.
- The term of fruiting is stretched, the number of fees can reach 7.
- Strawberry varieties First grader tolerates winter and drought. At the site where the variety was tested in winter 1997, at an air temperature of -33 degrees and a height of snow cover of only 7 cm, there was only a slight freezing of the leaves, which were easily restored in spring, and the horns were completely preserved.
- Bush is strong, very beautiful with wavy edges of the leaves, which are clearly visible wax coating. It has powerful, thick, strongly pubescent petioles.
- Bush height up to 30 cm, and the width can reach 40 cm.
- The flowers of this variety are not pure white, they have a pink-beige shade with a characteristic darker vein in the center of the petal. They are bisexual, therefore, self-pollination is possible.
- Flowering occurs in early June.
- The first grader loves to grow in the sun, but will give a good harvest in partial shade. This feature is a few varieties of strawberries.
- First grader is resistant to diseases. In a cold and damp summer, it may be affected by powdery mildew and white spot, but the extent of damage from these diseases is small. For powdery mildew, it is only 1 point; for comparison, this indicator for Festivalian strawberry is 3 points. For white spots, the indicators are even less - only 0.2 points.
- The purpose of this variety is universal.
- Transportability strawberry varieties First grader good.
How to grow a first grader
Proper planting and care is very important for obtaining a good harvest of strawberries. Each variety of strawberries has its own characteristics that must be considered when growing. For a first grader it is very important to choose the right place for landing - in the sun or in light partial shade. In order for the berries not to be damaged by gray mold, raw air should not stagnate at the landing site, contributing to the development of this disease.Tip! Plant a first grader in a well-ventilated area.
This variety of strawberries gratefully responds to the right care and can give a tangible yield increase.
In order to get a strawberry plantation, you need to multiply it. The most common way of breeding this berry - daughter rosettes, which gardeners call a mustache. Strawberry variety First grader is prone to the formation of a sufficient number of well-established mustache, so there are no problems with its reproduction.
A warning! Large-fruited garden strawberries are propagated by seeds only during selection work, since when sowing seeds, the plants obtained from them do not retain varietal traits.
Overwhelmingly, they will be worse than the parent variety.
Sowing seeds reproduces only small-fruited remontant strawberries. She has no such regularity in seed reproduction - all young plants will repeat their parents.
Planting strawberries varieties First grader can be carried out in the spring or the second half of summer.Tip! It is necessary to finish landing not later than a month before frosts.
If this is done at a later date, the young strawberry bushes of the First Grader will not have time to take root and may not survive the harsh Siberian winter.
In the prepared at least two months before planting the land with the addition of a bucket of humus and 50-70 g of complex fertilizer per square meter. meter planted well-rooted strawberry outlet no older than one year of life. The forerunners of strawberries First graders may be onions, garlic, beets, dill, parsley. Most other garden crops are not suitable for this, since they have common diseases with it.
For strawberry First Grader the best arrangement of bushes is 30x50 cm, where 30 cm is the distance between the plants, and 50 between the rows. If the standing of groundwater is high, it is better to plant berries on strawberries of the variety First Grader of high ridges, and if the site is dry and rains are rare, then the beds should not be raised above the ground level.
Tip! In the latter case, mulching of beds with straw, hay or dry needles will be especially effective.
This will reduce the amount of watering, make the earth more friable and fertile, will not allow the berries to touch the ground, which will exclude their disease.
Black nonwoven is also suitable for mulching. Strawberries are planted directly into holes made at the hole. The only drawback of this method of planting strawberries is that there are nowhere to take root in the affiliated sockets.
Planting holes need to fill a handful of humus, a teaspoon of complex fertilizer and a tablespoon of ash. When planting, care must be taken that the central bud is not covered with earth, and the roots are completely in the soil.
Further care for strawberries The first grader also has its own characteristics. Extended fruiting requires a special regime of fertilizing and watering. Most strawberries need nutrition in the following stages: at the time of leaf growth in the spring, during the formation of buds and in the formation of ovaries. Since the strawberry variety First Grader bears fruit for a long time, it is impossible to do one feeding during the fruiting period. In order not to overfeed the plants with mineral fertilizers, it is better to additionally fertilize them with organic matter. It is best to use fermented infusion of mullein or bird droppings.Attention! During fermentation, all the harmful bacteria that are found in cow dung, die, so this fertilizer is safe for plants.
Technology of preparation of mullein is quite simple. Large capacity half filled with fresh cow manure and topped up with water. The fermentation process lasts 1-2 weeks. Every 3 days the contents of the container are mixed.Tip! Such a fertilizer is a source of nitrogen and a little to a lesser degree of potassium, there is little phosphorus in it.
To make it balanced you can add ash and superphosphate to the container. On a plastic barrel with a capacity of 50 liters of fermented infusion - a liter jar of ash and 300 g of superphosphate.
When feeding for every 7 liters of water, add 1 l of infusion. Application rates -10 l per square. meter. When cooking chicken manure infusion diluted more.
Attention! Chicken dung is not only a more concentrated organic fertilizer than mullein. It is richer in composition and more beneficial for plants.
Fresh litter should be diluted with water in a ratio of 1 to 10, and dry 1 to 20. For feeding, add 1 l of the mixture for every 10 liters of water. Such a solution does not need fermentation. It is better to make it immediately after preparation.A warning! Do not exceed the concentration of the solution prepared from organic ingredients.
Too concentrated solution can burn the roots of strawberries.
Each organic dressing strawberries need to be combined with irrigation with clean water.
Strawberries are very sensitive to both excess moisture and its lack. Most of all plants need water in the initial growing season and when pouring berries. If at this time there is little rain, strawberries should be watered, wetting the soil well for 20 cm. It is in this layer that the main roots of this plant are located.
This is a necessary agrotechnical approach in the care of strawberries varieties First grader. Due to loosening the soil is saturated with air, conditions for plant growth are improved. Weeds are destroyed that take food from strawberries.Attention! You can not loosen during flowering and pouring berries, so as not to damage the flower stalks and not to soil strawberries with soil.
At observance of all the rules of agricultural technology Strawberry First-grader will bestow a rich harvest of delicious berries. And its frost resistance makes it possible to grow this useful berry even in the harsh climate of Western Siberia.