In many regions of Russia, planting potatoes suffer from the invasion of the Colorado potato beetle. Adult beetles are less harmless than their larvae. They, like the "red berries" stick over potato bushes, completely devour the whole tops, leaving only the petioles.
Naturally, damaged plants are not able to recover quickly, the harvest is reduced several times. Gardeners are trying to find ways to combat the pest. Processing potatoes before planting from the Colorado potato beetle is an effective method. Today, you can pick up the appropriate drugs to protect the tubers from pests.
The impact of the Colorado potato beetle on yield
Back in the late 19th century, unknown beetles damaged potato plantations in the fields of Nebraska. After 4 years, the mass of beetles has increased significantly, they were able to get to the state of Colorado. Here the damage was significant. After that, the beetle was called Colorado.
Beetles and their offspring - voracious. Adult beetles damage the tubers themselves. The object of nutrition is not only potatoes, but also eggplants, tomatoes, sweet peppers, physalis, dereza, henbane. Do not give up some colors that also belong to the family of the nightshade. The most voracious in the family are the larvae.Comment! One larva requires from 50 to 110 mg (depending on the age) of the green mass of potatoes for full saturation. During life time - 750 mg.
During the entire vegetative period, it is necessary to fight pests with various means. But you can protect the seedlings at the very beginning of the growing season, if you specifically treat the tubers with preparations from the Colorado potato beetle.
Adults overwinter in the soil at a depth of 30 to 50 cm. They do not stop at tubers. There have been cases when an insect was found when cleaning potatoes.
Ways to protect
The task of vegetable growers is to protect the planting of potatoes from the invasion of the Colorado potato beetle. Processing tubers need to deal with planting. There are professional (use of chemicals) and folk methods of protection. Let's try to understand them.
Processing potatoes before planting from the Colorado potato beetle involves the use of pesticides. There are drugs of foreign manufacture, they were used until recently. Today, the Russian chemical industry has produced a lot of quality products that are not inferior in their properties to foreign analogues. Their quality can be judged by the numerous reviews of vegetable growers.Attention! Foreign and Russian plant protection products have the same effectiveness, since the compositions are almost identical. But the cost of Russian drugs is much lower.
What Russian means of protecting potatoes from the Colorado potato beetle can be used:
- Prestige - reliable protection of landings. To prepare the solution for the treatment of potatoes, 50 ml of the product are diluted in three liters of water.
Gardeners, as a rule, prepare for planting about 50 kg of potatoes. The resulting solution is sufficient. Plants will receive reliable protection.
- Maxim is most often used with Prestige. Maxim processes not only the tubers, but also pickles the soil, where insects can winter.
- Kruyzer acts effectively. Not only protects the tubers from the Colorado potato beetle, but also does not allow the spread of viral diseases. Landings are protected for six weeks.
- Taboo saves not only from the Colorado potato beetle, but also from all pests (especially the larvae of the click beetle) living in the soil. Treated tubers under reliable protection for at least one and a half months. Precipitation does not reduce the action of the drug.
Video on the treatment of tubers before planting chemicals:
Any means for dressing the soil and potato tubers are toxic. Therefore, the observance of safety precautions when working with any chemical preparations must be observed without fail:
- It is necessary to protect all exposed parts of the body: wear a jacket, gloves, face with a handkerchief or mask. If it is necessary to carry out dressing before going to the site, it is done in a ventilated room, for example, on the balcony, if you live in the city. It is simpler for villagers to carry out planting material outside. Works are carried out in calm weather.
- Before working with preparations for the spring processing of potato tubers, you need to carefully study the instructions. To prepare the solution, taking into account the dosage.
Processing of potato tubers produced immediately before planting. A tarpaulin or a large piece of cellophane is spread on the ground. So that it does not fly away, the edges are pressed down.
- Ready for planting potatoes with green sprouts without haste, so as not to damage the planting material, lay out in varieties in a single layer on the litter. To correctly calculate the amount of pesticide, tubers before germination need to hang. If you have a few potatoes, you can use plastic boxes from under the fruit, pre-cellophane.
- The drug can not be stored, so it is prepared for a one-time treatment of tubers. It is necessary to plant, considering a dosage.
- Before processing the tubers, all helpers must be removed at a distance. The person who will do the dressing will pour the prepared solution into the sprayer. The work is carried out slowly, so as not to miss a single tuber, otherwise part of the potato will be defenseless in front of the Colorado potato beetle and its larvae. When the tubers are dry, you can start planting.
If there is no sprayer, then the tubers can simply be dipped into the solution. Used for "bathing" potato mesh. They are immersed in toxic chemicals for 2-3 seconds (no more!). To dry the tubers, they can be laid out on a tarp. This method of dressing is suitable only for a small amount of planting material.
Drying usually takes up to three hours. If the treatment was carried out outside the garden, then the planting material should be packed in two layers of film or tarpaulin so that toxic chemicals do not have time to evaporate.
The Colorado potato beetle was introduced to Russia with potatoes at the beginning of the 19th century. Among the Russian birds there are no lovers to feast on poisonous-red larvae and striped beetles. It is for this reason that the insect feels safe. People had to invent the means to protect the potato from the voracious Colorado potato beetle and save the potato harvest.
Let folk methods are not as effective as chemicals, but harmless. Yes, and pesticides in ancient times was not.
So, let's begin:
- Every house had a stove ash. It was collected and used as a fertilizer in vegetable gardens. Inquisitive gardeners found that the solution helps to save the potatoes. Diluted composition in proportion: 1 part ash and 10 parts water. Tubers before planting dipped into ash liquid.
- Potassium permanganate is used by all gardeners and growers. In a ten-liter bucket pour water to the top and pour 1 gram of potassium permanganate. It turns out a saturated pink solution. In it "bathe" seed potatoes.
- A 10-liter bucket of water takes 15 grams of boric acid. Put the tubers in the solution.
- To pickle the tubers from the Colorado potato beetle is possible with the help of copper sulfate. Per liter jar - 1 gram of substance.
Processed, and what's next ...
The protection of potatoes from the Colorado potato beetle in different ways, rescues the plants at first, about a month and a half. Pickled tuber does not eat any pest, in the leaves at first, poison is also preserved.
But how to be when the action of the defense stops, and the years of the Colorado potato beetle will be in full swing? Planting can be treated with all the same drugs.A warning! 20-30 days before harvesting, the processing stops.
How to scare away the Colorado potato beetle from planting potatoes using birch tar in the video gardener: