No summer cottage is complete without garlic ridges. After all, it is a seasoning, and medicine, and protection from pests.
It is easy to grow a vegetable, but if you skip the harvest, it will be difficult to keep it until spring. You need to dig garlic on time, otherwise the heads will fall apart and be poorly stored.
Garlic is of two types - spring and winter. The planting dates are different for him, therefore, the harvest will also have to take place at different times. Culture itself tells you when to remove garlic from the garden. Watch the plant carefully, and you will accurately determine the time of harvesting garlic.
The main signs of ripeness
Harvesting immature or overripe garlic is unacceptable. In this case, all spent efforts to grow a vegetable will be lost. If you dig earlier - cloves will be soft. Although some gardeners use early digging, so that the heads matured during drying.
An overcooked vegetable can re-germinate and produce shoots. The integumentary scales will crack, and the teeth will remain without husks. Naturally, such heads will be poorly stored. Therefore, garlic must be harvested on time.
What are the signs of summer residents determine the ripeness of the heads? The main indicators that it is time to clean the garlic, consider:
- yellowing of the leaves, especially the lower ones;
- the moment of drying of outer films on inflorescences;
- the acquisition of films varietal color;
- straightening arrows in the arrow-grade;
- lodging stems;
- splitting cloves without effort;
- cracking seed pods.
These signs show that the technical maturity of garlic has come, but the formation of the bulbs has not yet occurred. The process will finally end after the harvest.
How to determine the date when you need to remove the garlic from the garden? There is no single number for all regions. It is necessary to take into account several factors. The main are the climatic conditions. For the middle band serves as a guideline on July 12 - the day of Saints Peter and Paul. In the northern regions, the time of garlic harvesting comes a couple of weeks later. What number to clean heads in other regions is calculated, according to the recommendations of the lunar calendar and weather forecast.
It is necessary to shift the period of cleaning heads, focusing on the external signs of the plant. Frequent rains will lead to the ripening of garlic earlier than usual, hot and dry days will delay this process a couple of weeks later. Another important factor is the fulfillment of agrotechnical requirements, namely the number of feedings. Therefore, the date when digging garlic should be determined every year.
Summer gardeners advise summer garlic to start digging in August, taking into account the planting time and the growing season of the variety. The spring view is stored better than winter, so you precisely maintain the time when its heads should be removed for storage.
Ways to improve the quality of garlic heads
To properly remove the vegetable, you need to start with proper preparation. Before harvesting garlic, gardeners perform pre-harvesting activities that significantly improve the quality of the heads. Begin training at the moment when the arrows straighten. This indicator signals that the bulbs are starting to fill. It is necessary to increase the flow of nutrients to the garlic heads. This can be done by knotting the leaves.
But it should be remembered that this technique will increase the ripening period of garlic for 2 weeks.Important! In the rainy summer, do not use reception to reduce the length of the bulbs in the ground.
The next caveat - from the bulbs shovel the soil to increase air access to the roots. This is done at the time when the inflorescences are straightened. Reception protects the bulbs from getting wet and accelerates their formation for 3-4 days.
Harvesting garlic by the rules
Harvesting garlic has its own nuances. How to harvest in order to preserve all the bulbs? Gardeners follow some rules.
Choose a sunny and warm day. The main thing is that there is no rain the day before.
You can dig out the bulbs with a fork or a shovel. This should be done very carefully, trying not to damage the heads with a sharp tool.
It is strictly forbidden to cut the tops and roots.
After digging up the plant, lightly shake it off the ground and set aside to dry. The place should be chosen dry, but without direct sunlight. Experienced gardeners prepare a shed in advance.Important! If, after harvesting garlic, the weather turned bad, you need to tie up the leaves in bunches and hang them for drying in a well-ventilated room. Plants are hung heads down.
Dry the vegetable for at least 14 days. Then it must be cleaned from the ground and cut the leaves. From the bulbs remove 1-2 layers of integumentary scales, not more. Otherwise they will be poorly stored.
Heads are much better stored, if the roots are cut with a sharp knife at a distance of 2-3 mm from the bottom, the very bottom is scorched. Can be waxed. Pruning tops do depending on the method of storage. For the bundle, it is sufficient to leave 10–20 cm of the stem, and for the braid, you will need at least 35 cm. Separately bind and store the peduncles.
Storage of bulbs before planting
There are general requirements for high-quality storage of garlic:
- the bulbs should be perfectly dry;
- the room should be dark;
- the winter view needs cold (+ 3 ° С), the spring can withstand heat (+ 18 ° С).
Strongly not suitable for storage places with high humidity, drafts and air temperature above 22 ° C. Therefore, the refrigerator is not suitable for storing any type of garlic due to high humidity.
Ways of storing a spicy vegetable are known to many summer residents.
Option is chosen depending on the possible conditions. In the presence of a dry basement or attic, garlic is well preserved in:
- Kosakh. Advantage - it does not require a lot of space, it is easy to detect and remove a spoiled head.
- Baskets Well let the air, very compact. The bulbs are folded in 3 layers; on high moisture they are poured with onion peel.
- Bundles. Suitable for storing small amounts of garlic (up to 20 pieces) in a shed or in the attic.
- Meshes. Hang on the wall in the basement, in the attic, in the barn.
In apartments, only the variant with glass jars is possible, and in a private house, linen bags, boxes, jars and boxes are used.
Summer residents believe that harvesting garlic is easier than to keep it qualitatively. Winter storage can cause problems:
- Heads grow moldy and rot. This is due to high humidity. Heads must be sorted by removing the damaged. The rest is placed for a week to dry in a warm place and continue storage in a dry place. You can pour the garlic with salt.
- Teeth dry up. The winter variety is prone to natural drying at the end of its storage period. To move this time aside, the heads are wrapped in plastic wrap. With early drying, the bulbs are moved for several days in the refrigerator, then wrapped in film.
- Color changes. Occurs when a stem nematode is affected. Need a bulkhead and separation of healthy garlic from infected. Burn the patient, the rest must be treated with insecticide, dry and continue storage under optimal conditions.
- Teeth germinate. In this case, they are cleaned and poured oil (vegetable). Storage temperature is kept either not higher than + 2 ° С, or + 20 ° С and higher.
- Pest damage. With a small degree of garlic is heated in the oven at a temperature of 100 ° C. Then sorted out, the burned burned.
Garlic can be stored in different ways at the same time. You should choose the most acceptable of them in order to save the crop before planting.
In the best position will always be the one who collect garlic quality and on time.